Thursday, September 1, 2011

A 30 Year Idaho Tradition

Some thirty years ago, my parents, along with nine other couples, invested in a two-bedroom condo in a sleepy little village called Elkhorn, adjacent to Sun Valley, Idaho, and minutes from Baldy Mountain.  Every summer and winter, we would load up the Subaru and make the eleven hour drive for the best skiing in the winter, the best hiking, swimming and golfing in the summer, and the best memories a child could have.

For the past ten summers I've had the pleasure and joy of watching those memories form for my wife, and for the past five years, for my children.  I have always loved this place, but have found that introducing it to someone else is even better.  Whether it is the joy of splashing around in the outdoor pools, where a swim suit dries in a matter of minutes because of the zero humidity, diving into the incredible mexican food at Despo's, shopping the farmer's market, or strolling the lovely, historic grounds of the Sun Valley Lodge while eating blizzard-like concotions, this place is the ideal spot for me to recharge my batteries and regain any perspective on life that was lost over the course of the year.

Though Elkhorn has become more than a sleepy little village and Sun Valley has been developed into a first class resort, with a bit of ritz, the core of Sun Valley has not changed.  There is a love and respect for the outdoors, khaki shorts and a clean t-shirt passes as being dressed up, and bowling at a bowling alley where the lanes have not been touched since it opened in 1937, make this place so special for me, and now the rest of my family.




No comments:

Post a Comment