Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Guess and Go

Our first child has entered the wonderful world of academia (see earlier post) and is now a seasoned veteran of Kindergarten.  I am hoping it is only a one year experience and based on what she is learning and regurgitating at home, I think she is doing well.

One aspect of Kindergarten that I wish I could apply in my everyday life is what is known as Guess and Go.  It is a simple concept - teaching children how to spell and write based on intuition.  They simply sound out the word they want to spell and put letters that they think make those sounds.  For example, if one were to say "I played baseball today," the Guess and Go would look like "I plad bsbal tuda." 

When our daughter brings home her sentences from school, it is kind of like trying to read someone elses vanity license plate, and when you finally figure it out, you feel like you just solved the puzzle on Wheel of Fortune. 

Today where everything has a spell check, thesaurus and grammar check at the click of a mouse, it is nice to see old school teaching still exists.  I know it will not be long before we are fighting over using the computer.  Until then, I wil smpley uz mi Ges n Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment