Thursday, May 31, 2012

Goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maroonies - 2012
I took my coaching to a new level this past April and May as I volunteered to coach my daughter's U6 soccer team, the mighty Maroonies.  As opposed to the 3-4 year old set that I had coached in the past, these girls were able to understand me when I spoke, laughed at my goofiness, but fortunagely, they still had no expectations of greatness on my part.

I had a blast coming up with drills, watching them improve week to week and seeing their confidence grow day by day.  Sure, sometimes they were more interested in the "special treat" that was provided at the end of the game and at other times they wanted to practice cartwheels, but at the end of the day they seemed to have fun.  No score was kept and whenever they inquired or tried to keep track, it was discouraged (as an aside they dominated every team they played) as all I wanted them to do was have fun.

There are a few weeks left in my boy's 3-4 year old's season, and back I go to point them in the right direction, determine when they need to go potty, and try my hardest to make out just what they are saying......but one day they will be six and I hope I have laid the ground work for continued soccer fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment